Maecenas faucibus mollis interdum. Aenean lacinia bibendum nulla sed consectetur. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Donec id elit non mi porta gravida at eget metus.
I am a specialised general practitioner, working as...
- a business consultant
- a communication specialist
- a Latin America expert
- an academic researcher and lecturer at the University of Bern, the Philipps-University of Marburg, and the University of St.Gallen
Some of my activities in consulting and communication
- Consulting and communication mandate with the Lucerne-based company rubio consulting (since 2018)
- Consulting and communication mandates by the Swiss Hotel Association, Bern, and by the Swiss School of Tourism and Hospitality, Passugg, for Mexico (2017-today)
- Collaboration in communication with the Latin American Chamber of Commerce in Switzerland, Zurich (2017-today)
- Co-organiser of the event "¡Viva México!" in Bern in 2017 and 2018
- Communication mandate for Switzerland by Mexico's biggest forestry and timber company Proteak, Mexico City (2012- today)
- Coach and expert for the International Business Boot Camp on Latin America by the Fribourg School of Management (HES-SO) (2017)
- Consulting and communication mandate by ongresso, Appenzell and Medellín (2016-2017)
"We gave Alex a mandate for corporate communications in Switzerland because he knows well Mexico's and in particular Proteak's competitive assets, and because he knows how to communicate these qualities to possible investors and business partners."
Gastón Mauvezin, CEO Proteak, Mexico City
"The Swiss Hotel Association has been setting standards in hospitality education since the 19th century. Now, we aim at promoting our standards and building a network of affiliate schools around the Globe. For Latin America, Alex is a great partner to have."
Ueli Schneider, member of the board of directors of hotelleriesuisse, Bern
"Alex Gertschen is a very talented historian with economic competence and an international perspective. I have known him as an analytical collaborator who provides ideas and impulses. At the same time, I appreciate him as a team- and goal-oriented person.“
Prof. Dr. Eckart Conze, Institute of Modern History,
Philipps-University of Marburg
„As NZZ correspondent in Mexico City, Alex combined a profound knowledge of Latin America with a sense for hidden stories and a fine way of writing.“
Markus Spillmann, Partner of KLAUS METZLER ECKMANN SPILLMANN, Editor-in-chief of Neue Zürcher Zeitung 2006-2014, Zurich
Specialise! Focus! I know, most organisations and definitely most human resource managers think that today, only specialists with a streamlined CV are up to the task. However, I have never wanted to stick to only one career. For the past twenty years, I have worked in journalism, at university, and in corporate communication and consulting. Being a "general practitioner" has become my specialty.
I was born in Bern, Switzerland, in 1979, where I also live with my wife and our three children. In 2000, before starting university, I worked as a trainee for Switzerland Tourism in London. Until 2006, I studied History, Communication and Political Economy at the University of Fribourg, the Sorbonne in Paris and the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. Between 2007 and 2012, I did my PhD at the Philipps-University of Marburg (Germany). During these years, I lived both in Marburg and Mexico City, where I worked as correspondent for the Neue Zürcher Zeitung. Due to my professional and academic work, and the Mexican half of my family, I still spend one to two months per year in Latin America.